Steam boiler Maintenance Checklist
A Scotch-marine steam boiler, common in residential buildings, typically lasts 25 to 30 years with proper maintenance.
Following a regular maintenance schedule for your building's boiler plant will go a long way toward minimizing breakdowns and service interruptions. Here are some key items that should be a part of any building's operational plans.
These maintenance items should be done once a year by a heating contractor between heating seasons (June to September):
- Inspect and clean fireside surfaces.
- Inspect all burner refractory material.
- Inspect all manhole gaskets for leaks.
- Inspect and test all system valves.
- Inspect and test all safety valves.
- Clean and rebuild low water cut-off.
- Recalibrate all operating controls.
- Overhaul feed water pumps.
- Clean condensate receiver.
- Inspect electrical terminals.
- Switch boiler automation to summer mode.
- Check fuel oil levels.
- Clean and inspect chimneys.
- Clean and tune boiler and components.