Mobile Home Construction
The quality-and longevity-of a mobile has a lot to do with it’s price when originally constructed. A budget model will only meet minimum HUD standards and, generally, a more expensive model will have better quality materials and construction details. In other words, if the original owner bought a premium line of mobile home, it will likely be sturdier and last longer. Budget models can begin to show signs of deterioration within 10 years if poorly maintained.
At an intuitive level, most people can tell a budget model from a premium one. The basic mobile homes look bare-bones and are never confused with a site-built home. The mid-range are still clearly mobile homes, but have a more house-like proportion and detailing, while the premium models can sometimes be mistaken for a site-built home.
Many of the details of superior construction are hidden within the floor, walls, and ceiling of the home, like the R-value of the insulation and size and spacing of the floor joists, for example. But here’s a chart for analyzing some key visible areas where you can determine if you are looking at a budget, mid-range, or premium mobile home:
- 1) Roof Pitch - Budget models have a low roof pitch of 2/12 (2 inches of rise for every 12 inches of length). This is best gauged when looking directly at the side of the home, like in the photo below. As the quality increases, the roof pitch does also.
- 2) Roof Overhang - The most basic homes have zero or minimal roof overhang at the front and back. This means that water runs down those walls every time it rains—not good for longevity. Again, as the overhang increases, so does the quality of the home.
- 3) Ceiling at exterior walls - Budget homes have a 7-foot ceiling height, measured where the ceiling meeting the front and back walls. Because door height remains constant at 6-foot 8-inches, you can get a good idea of the ceiling height from the outside, by checking the distance from the bottom of the fascia (the board that wraps around the edge of the roof) to the top of the door. Just a few inches means a 7-foot ceiling inside. About 2-feet means a 9-foot ceiling, and a premium home.
- 4) Siding - Panels of wood or particleboard were used as siding on the cheaper homes in the 1980s to early 1990s. Older mobile homes have metal siding regardless of price range. Nowadays, budget homes have economy-grade vinyl siding. Better quality homes have heavier vinyl siding or fiber-cement (such as Hardi-Plank). A particleboard sided home, combined with no roof overhang, always seems to develop moisture intrusion problems and wood rot.
- 5) Front Door - Lesser quality mobile homes have a front door like you might expect on a travel trailer: thinner and lightweight compared to a regular entry door, and usually aluminum. Better quality homes have a steel front door that closely resembles what you would find on a site-built home.
- 6) Roofing - Lower-priced homes have lightweight, economy grade shingles, which are a little difficult to tell from regular 3-tab shingles unless you see them both side-by-side. But premium roofing of what is called “dimensional” or “architectural” shingles is easy to spot, based on the extra thickness at the edge, and adjacent shingles that sit slightly forward or back from each other along the front edge. Economy grade shingles have a shorter lifespan and are more prone to wind damage.
- 7) Interior walls - Budget homes have vinyl-covered wallboard that is butted at the sides. Better quality homes have battens covering the seams at the sides of the boards, and the best quality homes have finished drywall.
- 8) Windows - Years ago, all mobile home windows were were a single thickness of glass. More recently, better quality homes have double-pane insulated glass windows.
This is not intended to be a rigid guideline. We recommend that you check these eight construction details, then use them as a jumping-off point for your own assessment of the quality of the home. Some homes will straddle two categories based on their combination of features.london museum made of metal london buildings made of portland stone london eye made of what is london made of london dry gin made of london is made up of two cities london near me london near toronto london near paris london near country london near places london near city london near river london near university london next to lockdown oli london next to jimin is london next to the sea london bridge next to big ben london hotel next to harrods what is london next to next london areas to be gentrified london next week things to do london of gb london of liberty london of gbr london of liberty fabric london of economics london of what not to wear crossword london of tower london of aspinal london off the beaten path london off season london off broadway shows london off peak times london off west end theatres london off peak train times london off license london on da track summer walker london on da track mom london on da track songs london on da track mother london on weather london on da track age opposite of london opposite of london bridge london out of gas london out of petrol london out of fuel london out of lockdown london out of hours gp london out tonight london outlet london out of station interchange london outdoor market london outdoor dining london outdoor activities london outdoor food market london outdoor urinal london outdoor theatre london outdoor restaurants london outdoor afternoon tea london over christmas london over thanksgiving london over new years london over the years london overground london overground map london over 60 travel card london over the border london past weather london past and present london past and present ks1 london past papers london past and present video london past and london now london last names london past life regression london pro soccer teams london pro musica london pro basketball team london pro lash london pro golf london pro arte choir london pro wrestling london pro massage london since 1900 london since science museum london since london is north of paris london insurer since 1688 london clock since 1922 boy london since 1976 london population since 1900 london through the ages london through time london through a lens london through the ages ks2 london through time book london through a window london through my eyes london through thick and thin london drive thru cinema london drive thru covid testing london drive thru restaurant london drive thru zoo london drive thru food london steppers thru the vibe london drive thru shisha london drive thru covid vaccine london to amsterdam london to manchester london to edinburgh train london to new york london to amsterdam train london towards lockdown towards london london heading towards tier 3 m4 towards london southeastern towards london charing cross m1 towards london traffic a13 towards london traffic 401 towards london no. 1 london under london london under fire london under attack london under roman rule london under book london under cover london underneath underneath london sky london christmas band underneath the tree river underneath london mask underneath london bridge pub underneath london bridge book underneath london cleopatra's needle london underneath london until further notice london until when tier 4 until london london lockdown until when quarantine london until when london lockdown until may london lockdown until april london lockdown until july london up and coming areas 2021 london up and coming areas london up in the sky london up and coming restaurants london up and coming artists london up stroller london up and coming designers london up and coming neighborhoods london versus new york london versus paris london versus city of london london versus england london versus sydney london vs toronto london versus manchester london vs dublin london via rail london via train station london via station inconnu london via rail parking london via rail robert q london via rail schedule london via train london via rail to toronto london with kids london with teenagers london with toddlers london with children london with family london with a baby london with tweens london within the old roman walls london within london london within m25 london within the walls london bus within 1 hour london postcodes within m25 london population within city limits london city within a city london without vaccine london without thames barrier london without fuel london without petrol london without mask london without gas london without water j london cigars jlondonostyle london boutique london milano london weebly p london ig uk london uk london time uk london zip code uk london weather uk london covid uk london area code uk london map uk london covid cases london airport london apartments london after midnight london auto sales london apartments for rent london area code london airbnb london airport code london broil london bridge london broil recipe london bridge is falling down london broil marinade london breed london brown london bridge arizona london covid london calling london chop house london canada london city london covid cases london covid restrictions london currency london dispersion forces london daily mail uk london covid london dry gin london did you screw this london department stores london dispersion london dungeon london eye london england london england weather london england time london eye tickets london elementary school london elise kress