Power Plant Operations and Maintenance Job
There are two main paths that can be pursued at our power generating plants. The first is plant operations which includes the start up, continuous running and shut down of systems and components within the plant. The second is plant maintenance where preventative and corrective maintenance on equipment is performed ensuring everything is working as it should.
Whichever path you choose, your journey would begin with learning the nuts and bolts of plant operations or maintenance and could advance into apprentice level positions in a trade such as mechanic, electrician or operator. As your skills develop you may decide to pursue a journeyman level position in your area of expertise or you might consider a supervisory role. Other growth opportunities may exist depending on your interests and sometimes your education.
Entry level plant position titles vary by location.
Look for these titles when you search jobs on our website:
- Auxiliary Operator
- Coal Equipment Operator (CEO)
- Auxiliary Equipment Operator (AEO)
- Plant Auxiliary
- Plant Utility Person
- Nuclear Technician
- Instrumentation Technician or Specialist
Occasionally we may post jobs which can be a direct path into apprentice level positions. Also, look for these titles when you search jobs on our website:
- Apprentice Electrician
- Apprentice Mechanic
- System Operator in Training (SOIT)
- Nuclear Apprentice
Your day to day responsibilities might include:
- Adhering to the safety standards of the company
- Inspect, monitor, and operate fuel systems, fuel oil transfer and supply lines and associated equipment
- Operate condensate and feedwater systems; circulating and cooling water systems; condensate and makeup systems
- Collect and prepare fuel samples
- Do preventative maintenance ("checkups") on generation equipment and repair, if necessary
Southern Company operates many power generating plants throughout our territory. Whether the plant uses water, nuclear or fossil fuels, we rely on highly skilled mechanics, electricians and operators in addition to other specialized professions to keep the power on and costs low.
Click above to view all of our skilled, craft and hourly opportunities. Using the advanced search tab on the job list page, select "power plant operations and maintenance" from the job field pull down menu and click "search for jobs" to view only power plant related opportunities.